Camping Information

Is camping what you’re interested in? If you come to Oklahoma looking for some great outdoor experiences, then Kaw Lake is your answer! There are almost 300 family campsites, many of them with water and electricity, and they are managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. There are also privately owned campgrounds in Ponca City, Kaw City, and Tonkawa and cabins at Camp McFadden on the west shore of Kaw Lake.

You can make reservations for the Corps campgrounds by phone or on-line.  Call the National Recreation Reservation Service (NRRS) at 877-444-6777 or reserve on line

Campsite Maps

When are the campsites open at Kaw Lake?

Most campgrounds are open from March 1 through November 30.

What if I want to stay for more than the 14 days allowed at the Corps campgrounds?

There are several privately-owned campgrounds that are ideal for retirees wanting to stay for a longer period of time or individuals working for short-terms in the Kaw Lake area.  Privately owned campgrounds include the following:  
Tonkawa – Pecan Creek Lodge and RV Park, 580-628-2227
Ponca City – Kaw Lake RV Park, 580-765-2219

What if I need to cancel?

If an individual cancels an individual campsite reservation the day before arrival, or on the day of arrival they will be charged the $10 service fee and forfeit the first night use fee. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee.

What if I need to change my reservations?

Change or cancellation is assessed a $10 service charge.

How do I pay for my campsite?

Campsite reservations are paid by credit card (VISA, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express).  Credit card payments may be made with your reservations, either by phone or on the website.  The person who assists you with your reservation will give a confirmation number to you.  They will ask for your e-mail address and send a confirmation electronically.  If you don’t have e-mail, your confirmation letter may be faxed to you or, if your arrival date is more than 14 days away, it will be mailed to you.

What are the fees for using the campsites?

The fees for all campgrounds are nominal from $10 to $18 per site/per night depending upon the campground. Fees for day-only use are under $5. Children under 12 are free for day-use, and registered campers do not have to pay day-use fees in addition to camping fees.

Where do I get a Golden Age or Golden Access Passport?

The America the Beautiful has replaced the Golden Age and Golden Access Passport.  It is available at any National Park Service, USDA Forest Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Land Management, and Bureau of Reclamation park or office. Although the Corps no longer issues these passports, the recreation discounts still apply to the recreation camping and day use fees charged at recreation areas managed by the Corps of Engineers.  Both provide 50% discount on all recreation fees charged at any recreation area administered by the Federal Government.  This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over.. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free).

How many people can use a campsite?

Maximum occupancy and vehicle rules can be obtained when you make reservations. Osage Cove has two areas available for group camping and Sarge Creek has one. You can make reservations by phone or on-line.  Call the National Recreation Reservation Service (NRRS) at 877-444-6777 or reserve on line

What services can we expect to find?

Campsites with electric hookups, water.and RV dump stations are located at Coon Creek, Bear Creek, Osage Cove, Sarge Creek and Washunga Bay. There are picnic shelters; toilets and showers; fishing and courtesy docks; boat ramps and swimming beaches.

What types of camping are available?

The campgrounds at Kaw Lake are for tent or RV camping. There are no cabins available at the Corps campgrounds. Primitive tent camping is available at Coon Creek and Washunga Bay. However, tents may be used at any campsite or campground. For RVers wanting electric and water, any of the Corps campgrounds offer these services.

What about cabins?

There are six bed-only cabins at Camp McFadden on the west shore of Kaw Lake.  They sleep ten people each and have a bath house behind the cabins.  Camp McFadden is open from March-November.  Camp McFadden also has two cabins with private bathroom open year round.  For reservations phone 580-762-9955 or e-mail [email protected].  For more information go

ONA Logo

May 25, 2017
1:43 am US/Central


55º F

Current Conditions:

Thu - Sunny, High: 82
Fri - Thunderstorms, High: 86

High Water

As of 17 May, the Kaw Lake level is just above 25 feet above normal at the 1035 elevation and the lake level is falling.  Most of the campgrounds and boat ramps are closed and unavailable for public use due to the high lake levels.  If you have campsite reservations or were planning on coming to Kaw Lake in the near future we suggest you log on to the Corps of Engineers website at for up to the minute facility closure on Kaw Lake, current flood gate settings and discharge.  

© 2008 Kaw Lake Association